Wednesday, September 29, 2004

thinkin' ... dreamin' ... livin' ...

Mellow ... still contemplating age, children, past, future ...

Listening to Echoes ... www.echoes.org ...

Lightning struck the house in August, took out all the modems, the telephone – fried the internal safety breaker ... popped every electrical breaker and ... still don’t have any idea why the kitchen light doesn’t work ... something really got cooked there ... and ... oh yes ... the point to this train of thought ... it knocked out the satellite TV ... made be think about the “256 channels and nothing to watch” gag ... was it really money? DirectTV would replace everything for free ... even give me a second unit ... but was it worth the money?

ECHOES ... mellow music to surf by ... sigh ... why have TV when you can have peace and serenity?

What was I going ... oh yes ... still on age ... another ten days or so and I turn 60 ... I finish my sixtieth year on this planet ... wow .... where did it go?

(Chuckle) I can still remember being 12 and preparing to enter high school ... four years ... a third more of my life ... so far away ... so long a time ... the other boys, the seniors and even the juniors ... so grown-up.

WOW ... where did the time go?

So much fun ... so much pleasure and peace ... so many years ... where did it all go?
;-)
Time really does fly when you’re having fun ... there were a few slow minutes ... slow hours were there too ... and I know there were slow days ... a few rocks, a few bumps in the road ... I can think back to them ... but they just seem like dream images when weighted against life ...

Where did it go ... sigh ... and how fast shall the next sixty pass? Will I even be there to know?
(Chuckle) ... (chuckle) ... That’s the same question, or very similar to, the one I asked myself when I was twelve ...

Then there was a draft, Eisenhower had been president forever ... or at least he was the only president I had ever been aware of ... Kennedy ... he wouldn’t run for another, what? Five years? Nixon ... was vp ... and we only had “observers” and “advisors” in Vietnam. Stupid times ... mostly because America was still naive ... still in the “Leave it to Beaver”, Bob Cummings – “Love that Bob”, “George Burns & Gracie Allen”, Nelson Family – adventures of “Ozzie and Harriet” era of both TV and thinking. The jokes were clean and funny – and doctors were indorsing various brands of cigarettes.

Sixty years ... the jokes now aren’t considered jokes unless they have four letter words. African Americans are the only ones who call their race “Nigger” – and they, if Eddie Murphy et al are any unit of measure, seem to take pride in what they once believed derogatory. They pick on Cosby because he wants a bit of intelligence and self-respect to be ingrained in black youth. We no longer seem naive – we’ve graduated to outright stupid. After all, Bush lies, he gets caught in the lies, so he lies the same lies some more ... in the fifties, they referred to it as the tactic that Hitler used so well. Tell the same lies over and over enough times and the people will begin to believe them ... comical ... how it worked so well in the thirties and forties ... worked well during McCarthism ... and still works so well today. Guess people weren’t naive ... they were stupid then, and are even more stupid (??? stupider ???) now. The bigots and censors of that era are the same ones we hear and see today – the message has modified, and they control Congress and the White House ... don’t do the “Elmer Gantry” type tent show ... but people still lap it up ...

Guess things haven’t changed ... time has stood still ... maybe I haven’t aged after all ... maybe I just went to sleep and will awaken to mom telling me it’s time to get up and get to school. Yep ... nothing has changed ... it’s just a dream that’s taken the form of some idiotic sci-fi “Outer Limits” style extrapolation ...

Well ... if I’m sleeping, I guess I should be in bed ... I’ll wake up ... Eisenhower will be playing golf ... and maybe it will be Saturday and Milton Burl will be on ... and “Have Gun Will Travel” ... and “Gun Smoke” ... and then it will be eleven o’clock, dad and I will walk to the corner candy store to get the Sunday papers – I’ll get an ice cream soda, and get to carry the paper home and grab the comic section to see what “Allie Op” is doing back there in the stone age.

Yep that would be neat ... yea ... let me pull up the covers ... that’s it ... I’ll sleep in and it will be Saturday ...



No comments: